logo
Published on Central Asia-Caucasus Institute Analyst (http://www.cacianalyst.org)

IRAN AND AZERBAIJAN CLASH OVER CYBER-ATTACKS AND ARRESTED TERRORISTS

By Mina Muradova (01/25/2012 issue of the CACI Analyst)

Iranian-Azerbaijani relations have not been smooth since Azerbaijan’s independence, and recently deteriorated even further after cyber-attacks on the official sites of Azerbaijan’s governmental agencies and the disclosure of a terrorist group related to the Iranian intelligence services. The two cases are closely related to the fact that Azerbaijan is a key Muslim ally of Israel, considered a sworn enemy by official Tehran.

The websites of several Azerbaijani state agencies were hacked on January 16. A notice was placed on some of the sites accusing the Azerbaijani authorities of “serving Jews” and on some a message was placed stating “Hacked by AzerianCyberarmy.”

The websites that were hacked belong to president of Azerbaijan (president.az),  the Communications Ministry (rabita.az), the Interior Ministry (din.gov.az, mia.gov.az), the Constitutional Court (constcourt.gov.az), the official news agency Azertag, the Baku city administration, some news portals that are close to the government (including trend.az), the ruling Yeni Azerbaycan Party (yap.org.az)  and others.

YAP MP Aydin Mirzazade told Trend agency on January 16 that the cyber-attack on Azerbaijan’s state and government websites was not just a technical provocation, but pursued “politically motivated” purposes. “The cyber-attack is aimed at casting a shade on Azerbaijan’s growing international image. Some people are worried about Azerbaijan’s development, successes in domestic [affairs] and foreign policy [because] it is turning into one of the prestigious countries in the world,” he said.
The YAP website reported that it was attacked last month by hackers based in Iran, according to IP numbers that were linked to the cyber-attack. “The implementation of a full-scale attack from different geographical places, the manner of the attacks and quick distribution of e-mails to the media show that these actions were deliberate,” said Elmir Velizade, Deputy Minister of Communications and Information Technology, following the attack.

Communication Minister Ali Abbasov reported on January 21 that cyber-attacks destroying government and news websites in Azerbaijan mostly originated in Iran. “Twenty five sites suffered as a result of the attack, but they were restored in about two hours,” Abbasov said. “An investigation completed the day before revealed that 24 attacks were carried out from Iran, and one from the Netherlands.” He noted that the ministry had sent a letter to the Iranian side indicating the exact addresses where the attack was launched from.

However, the minister expressed hope that Iran could have been used as a transit country and that the attack could have been initiated from a third country. “We believe that the state agencies of those countries are not involved in this case,” Abbasov said.

Abbas Isgandari, a spokesman of Iran’s Embassy in Azerbaijan said that “Iran has nothing to do with hacker attacks on Azerbaijan’s state and public organizations’ websites.” He added that such reports damage Azerbaijani-Iranian relations.

In response to the Iranian cyber attacks, Azerbaijani hackers have attacked over 20 Iranian websites including the websites of Iranian state structures. This happened on the eve of January 20, the Day of Black January, when Azerbaijanis commemorate those killed 20 years ago by the Soviet Army for the sake of Azerbaijan’s independence. Azerbaijan’s flag and the notice “20th January is not forgotten” were posted on Iranian websites by hackers presenting themselves as “Pirates’ Crew.” They stated that these attacks were just the first steps and that similar actions against Iranian websites would follow.

Moreover, Azerbaijan's National Security Ministry (MTN) distributed official information saying that it had uncovered a terror group plotting to assassinate two employees of a Jewish school in Baku. The ministry said on January 19 that the group was planning terrorist acts and had illegally acquired firearms, military supplies, and explosives. It said the arms were secretly brought from Iran to Azerbaijan and hidden along the 150th kilometer marker of the Baku-Astara highway.

The APA news agency quoted the Ministry as saying that Azerbaijani citizens Rasim Aliyev, Ali Huseynov, and Balaqardash Dadashov – the latter living in Iran – coordinated the efforts to acquire firearms and explosives. The MNS said Dadashov was in contact with Iranian special service bodies and ordered the assassination of prominent foreigners living in Baku. Dadashov allegedly promised Aliyev, his brother-in-law, US$ 150,000 for this task. “After Rasim Aliyev agreed to this proposal, Dadashov sent him photos of the people to be assassinated, the layout of their homes, and pictures of their cars,” the Ministry said in a statement. “Dadashov paid Aliyev a total of US$ 9,300 for preparatory work.”

According to Israeli media, their plan was to attack two Israeli Chabad emissaries, a rabbi and a teacher employed by the Jewish school “Chabad Or Avner” in Baku.
“The Azerbaijani security forces acted covertly without alerting us,” said Rabbi Shneor Segal, one of the two targets. “It was published that they originally planned to attack ‘people who look Jewish and hold foreign passports’ near the school, but when the school guards began suspecting them, they started monitoring the area where I live,” he told Haaretz. Segal added that the second target was Rabbi Mati Lewis. The Ministry has opened an investigation into the charges that include plotting the assassination of a public figure, possession of contraband, and illegal acquisition and transportation of firearms, military supplies, and explosives.

Iranian MP Alaeddin Boroujerdi, chairman of the Majilis National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, has said that the recent claim that Iran had plotted to assassinate prominent foreigners in Baku is a conspiracy fueled by the Zionist regime. Speaking to the Fars News Agency on January 22, Boroujerdi said, “These known methods are old and threadbare, used by (certain) countries’ intelligence agencies with the aim of creating a negative atmosphere in relations between the two countries of Iran and Azerbaijan.” The senior lawmaker said the Zionist regime has an active presence in Azerbaijan and “I believe that the issue is a plot hatched by the Mossad and is a trap laid for the Azerbaijani side in regard to the relations between Iran and Azerbaijan.” He added that “conspiracies are being organized with the aim of damaging Azerbaijan’s relations with its neighboring countries,” and promoting Iranophobia in the region.


Source URL:
http://www.cacianalyst.org/?q=node/5707